How much do Electrical Circuit Panel Upgrades Cost?
Modern households are becoming increasingly energy-hungry and it seems as if there’s never enough outlets! Due to kitchen appliances, the average kitchen calls for both 220 volt outlets and standard 120 volt volts in every nook and cranny!
Homeowners may find themselves purchasing properties with outdated circuit panels such as ones with only 20 to 40 amps. In today’s modern age where an abundance of appliances is the norm, the average home is going to require a minimum 100 amp service with some requiring up to 200 amps. The average cost is usually between $1800-$2400 depending on many factors which we will break down below!
Unless you’re knowledgeable of home electrical systems, the installation of a new circuit panel is not something that you’d want to do yourself. A professionally licensed electrician from Direct Electric Company is the best approach!
- Electrical Wiring and Lighting – It’s recommended to have our electricians perform several installations or projects while in the home.
- Purchase of a New Panel – Occurs after reviewing the home’s needs with an electrician. Everyone has different energy needs and panels are available in many sizes such as indoor & outdoor units, some are combinable with the meter and others with a range of available circuit spaces.
- Installation of Appropriate Service – Your local utility company may need to install a different power supply or upgrade your meter and service. This is an absolute necessity before installation of the new circuit panel begins.
- Note: Any work done by your local utility company comes at a separate expense.
- Drilling or Carpentry to Feed Power into Home – If the service is upgraded the homeowner may need to arrange for adequate access from the exterior of the home to the interior space nearest the panel.
Installation of new sub panels – Not all circuit panels cover an entire home, and there are also many buildings with sub panels that may benefit from an upgrade too.
Enhancement and Improvement Costs
Wherever possible, worn out wiring should be repaired and you should also have improved conduits installed. If you’re uncertain of what needs to be done, use this list as a reference:
- Eliminate split circuits and broken sub panels
- Run new lines to updated circuit panel.
- Ensure that all grounding is done with copper.
- Properly remove and recycle original panels and materials.
- Create functions schematic for all switches
- (Very time consuming but necessary in older buildings or those using sub panels. This comes in handy when future work is done).
Additional Considerations and Costs
Working with a licensed electrician from Direct Electric Company who can accurately determine the precise needs for your home is the wisest decision you can make as a homeowner. We look forward to providing you with exceptional service!
The cost to install an electrical circuit panel upgrade varies greatly by region (and even by zipcode). To get a free estimate you may call us at (951) 200-5262
Electrical Panel Services
Upgrade :: Replacement :: Repair
From start to finish, our attention to detail results in superior installations!